Friday, October 10, 2008

Thoughts of the Past

My Aunt Laura Bowler passed away last week - Her funeral was on Monday. I have spend the week thinking of the past. The days when I was home with Mama and Aunt Laura. They are almost inseparable in my mind. Our homes were next door to each other our back doors connected with a well worn path. First it was just packed earth and later Dad poured cement. The property line is marked with a pomegranates and a lilac bush. We ( Laurie, Jane and I) spent many hours playing house under the shade of the bushes on the cool dirt beside the irrigation ditches. We lived in the time before TV and we spent most of our time out of doors. Playing in the yards and ditches of both homes.

We were as welcome in one home as the other. Aunt Laura was so supportive of all we did. She told us how beautiful and smart we were and always had time to listen with interest about our lives. Mama was this way as well - So how blessed we were to have two mothers who loved us unconditionally.

Aunt Laura is the last of my mothers family to pass. She was the youngest of 10 children. My mother was number 9 and she has been gone for almost 20 years. How I miss her still.

I am grateful that I was fortunate enough to be raised in such a large and loving family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often think about how fun it probably was for all of you to grow up next to each other...all those girls!

Phoebe said...

and how lucky I was to be the little girl you all dressed up... and were so so nice to! What a wonderful life we had! Those sisters were the best! I just remember running to your house a million times a day opening the door and just yelling "knock knock"
and running right in! such a nice post, love you Sue!

Laurie said...

Slow in getting to read you blog Sue....so sweet!! I to remember going to the door and walking in saying "knock, knock"...hadn't thought of that in years, however, I think I still do that!! We had such a great childhood, remember the summer your dad made the platform stage in your back yard for our performances? What a wonderful childhood, with these two wonderful Moms trying to keep us in control. Loved the picture on Mary Jane's blog of the pathway between the two houses...I remember when Uncle Lavoy put the cement one in. Such great memories...I'm sure they are having a wonderful time up there chatting away :)...love you Sue!!
laurie

lori said...

Aunt Sue - this is Wes and Lori Truman - Just wanted to say thanks for your sweet comment! It's so fun to have these blogging connections with people we love!!
How fun to click over and read this post about Grandma Bowler and your mom!